Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wordless/Wordful Wednesday: Missing MomS

My Mother and I circa 1976


My (Step)Mother and I circa 2004




As we rapidly approach Mother's Day 2009, I am missing my Moms, both of them. My first Mama, the woman who gave me life and treated me like a princess for the first 8 years of my life, died when I was 8, on the 4th of July, 1979. When she died, she took a piece of my heart with her.

Not long after, my father remarried. My 2nd Mama, the woman who cared for an ungrateful, smart mouthed, angry girl from age 8 to 17 (and beyond, do we ever stop needing our moms?) died just a year ago yesterday, April 21, 2008. My heart aches as I continue to miss her and her advice (that I never admitted to needing or using, but always did both.)

I hope they both know that I loved them both equally and yet, very differently. One literally gave me roots, and the other wings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes, I am so sorry to here you lost both your mothers. I will say a prayer for you today, I know it must be hard. Beautiful post.

Jen said...

Oh what a beautiful tribute. I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what that must be like. I am sure that they know how much you love them and are very proud of you.