Friday, May 8, 2009

Weekly Unloading

It seems I just don't have time to blog properly these days. So much like last week (or was that early this week?) I am just going to do a quick rundown of things I don't want to forget...the many random things this week that were either thought provoking or funny, or both. I hope to revisit them and write more about each, but if I don't, at least I'm putting something down in writing. Plus, I'm procrastinating doing my monthly reports. HA! Normally I do the dishes, but I already did them and I just don't feel up to mopping the kitchen floor, even though it desperately needs it, so I'll just unload my brain instead.

Monday I feel Monday was nondescript. In fact, I may have to glance at the calendar to see if anything at all remotely interesting happened that day. HA. The only thing interesting is that we ordered chinese food for dinner. LOL! Ok, so nothing earth shattering happened on Monday.

Tuesday Jenna and I were on our way to Penn State, for the Youth Leadership Conference. We helped prepare for the conference by stapling hand outs, filling folders and enjoying pizza with the other youth. After that, she enjoyed the pool and hottub for a bit.

Wednesday I don't think Jenna and I got much sleep. We had too much fun talking and sharing our thoughts about the day. Our speaker was Adam Fletcher and it was the first conference event I've attended where I didn't fall asleep. :-) Jenna got a lot out of it, just by participating in a group and doing group/team oriented things, it helped to show how youth and adults can work together as equals.
That night we were just exhausted, but she found time to meet up with some friends at the pool for a few hours. I, on the other hand, stayed in the room. We discovered we were hungry around midnight and enjoyed what we can only do in State College, we ordered pizza and hot wings. :-) No wonder we didn't get much sleep that night......

Thursday As our conference reached it's last day, we were prepared to say our goodbyes to our new friends who rapidly felt like family. Our speaker was Ross Szabo. He is just phenomenal. No other words can describe him. Hearing his *story* and piecing together where he's been to where he is today, he is one lucky and blessed man. I only hope that my own daughter, who's life is very similar to what Ross' was at this age, can have as productive a life and have a job she loves as much as Ross does his. We are grateful to have met Ross. It proves that no matter how tragic the life, something good will come out of it eventually.

As the day came to an end, I felt like I didn't want it to end. Jenna felt much the same as I. We could have had another 3 days like that, of learning, growing and sharing. We shared phone numbers and emails, myspaces and facebook ids....not wanting to lose touch with those we've grown to love....

Friday Today. I am now sick with a chest cold. That's what happens when you have too much fun and not enough rest, at least that's what my theory is. The body needs to rest and rejuvenate to keep healthy. We certainly did not get enough rest.

Jenna has spent last night and today on the phone and computer with her new friends, making arrangements to see them again. They shared their experiences from the conference and how they feel now, having learned how to be a leader, how to be an equal with adults when it comes to mental health awareness and the care they need and deserve.

Oh, and I had my first *real* martini, served in a martini glass. Well, does it count that it was a banana martini and not one with an olive?????

Here's the recipe:

How to Make a Banana Martini

Instructions

Difficulty: Easy

Things You'll Need

Vodka
Creme de Banana liqueur
Kahlua
Chilled martini glasses
Cracked ice
Cocktail shaker (any size)

Steps

Step One Measure 1 and a half ounces vodka, 1/2 ounces creme de banana liqueur and 1/2 ounce kahlua.

Step Two Add cracked ice into cocktail shaker.

Step Three Pour drink mix into the cocktail shaker.

Step Four Shake well.

Step Five Strain drink into chilled martini glass with a cherry (with a stem, must have a stem) and enjoy.

On that note, do you know how to tie a cherry stem with your tongue? I taught myself this fun trick in college and much to my husband's chagrin, taught Jenna when she was about 7 to do this LOL!!!!!!!! What a claim to fame my daughter has. She would pick the most inopportune times to share this little known talent of hers....

With that, I will close. Work awaits. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear the two of you enjoyed the conference.

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling ill. Prayers being said.

I always wondered how people could tie a cherry stem with just their tongue. Cool.

mommytoalot said...

OoooOoo I do so like the sound os a banana matini.!
Feel better
lisa

Cheryl said...

You doing ok?