Tuesday, April 27, 2010

With all of Life's Craziness, One Thing Stays the Same

No matter what happens in my life or that of my family, one thing will always stay the same. The "kids" who have all claimed me as their mom and my house as their safe haven will always have a home to go to. The kids who show up on my doorstep all seem to have needed a Mama's unconditional love. Someone they can count on, a place for food and friendship. They all call me Mama and they all give me hugs.

Two of my "boys" popped in this weekend. One is doing wonderfully well, as I told him 2-3 years ago that he would (he doubted himself). Another is in transition and once the dust settles for him, I think he will do fine. He is still in that doubting phase.

It's always good to see my kids, to see how they have matured. I've told them all to follow their heart and reach for their dreams. One is studying business admin, another nursing. They can do it.

One young man ran into me in the store, a good year since I had seen him last. I asked how things were going, you know, with school, on the homefront, any girlfriends, etc. He told me that I am the *only* person who ever asked him how his day went, asked him if he needed help with anything, told him he could be somebody. I said, S, you know it's true. You ARE someonebody and can be successful in life. Your day is important to me, your life is important to me. He gave me the biggest hug and thanked me. I felt good knowing I made a difference in this young man's life.

I ponder over the fact that all of these kids have something in common. They either come from a single parent home or both parents work. They crave the unconditional love that a parent provides. They don't hear how important they are, that their opinion counts, that they are somebody and can be somebody in the future. They are beaten physically, emotionally, neglected. Not badly enough for CPS to step in, but bad enough to leave permanent scars. They know at my house they will be loved and cherished. Each one of my babies are different, but they all have the same basic need to be loved without regard to behavior.

I was chatting with a friend of mine and I told him, you know, no matter where I end up, these kids are going to come back to Mama's. It may be for a few hours, a few days, a few months or years. But one by one, they all come back to Mama's House. *smile*

I came up with this saying:

I don't care where you've been. I don't care where you are going. What I care about is that you are here now. Welcome home.

I then warm their bellies and their hearts, then send them on their way.

I think there is a lesson learned here. Don't turn your back on someone in need. Give from your heart and give freely. Most often money is not needed. It's unconditional love that is needed.

No comments: