Friday, July 27, 2001

I lived through another funeral. We got there a little early. My dad looked awful :( Mom said his nerves got the best of him and he was a miserable old fart this morning :( My brother told me that Dad's asthma was acting up too. what a mess :(

Anyway, I got there around 10:30 and we found out that we were *car #2* for the ride to the cemetary. I saw more family members that I didn't know nor will ever see again, I suppose. I did a lot of walking around with my husband, brother and my Dad's best friend. We just kinda hung out. I don't do funeral homes well.

We were told around 10:56 that it was time to go in, that the service was starting. I sat down on the end, then it was Josh and mom then her aunt and uncle and my dad and my husband. My mom and I held hands with Josh. All three of us cried. I couldn't hold it back any more. The Pastor was awesome. His words so so comforting. He reminded us that our time crying and mourning should be brief, as Pap would have wanted us to move on and be happy, rejoice that he was no longer hurting or struggling in life. He was 90 years old, had lived a very full life. He was a good man. I cried and cried. I was just so raw feeling :( Pastor is long winded. LOL He talked and talked and talked. He said a little poem about being 80 and not having seen enough so wanting to live to 81 all the way up to 89, then he said but George, you outdid yourself. You made it to 90. If I can find it on the net I'll post it here. It is a great piece. :) Pastor was a long time family friend and at one point his voice sounded just like Pap's. It gave me the chills. I could hear Pap saying those words as clear as if he were standing next to me talking. Finally it was time to go to the cemetary. Pap was a veteran, he fought in WWII. Well, the post office is directly across the street from the funeral home. While we were sitting in the car, waiting for them to be ready to go, the lady from the post office came out and put the flag at half staff. my dh said oh, look, something must have happened. I said dear, they did that for Pap. He said no, they wouldn't do that. I told him to check the PO in town to see if it was half too. Nope, it wasn't. so the PO by the funeral home DID do it for Pap!

At the cemetary we had a quick service at the chapel and the legion did their veteran service thing and gave my Mom the flag. I couldn't look at it. I couldn't watch. All I heard was *on behalf of the United States Government I present you with this flag.....* and I lost it. I lost it major. I sobbed..... THEN they played Taps for Pap and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. It was sooooooo emotional. My father had a hard time regaining his composure. I sobbed AGAIN. *sigh*

but it's over now and Pap is in a better place..he is free from his medical problems and free from pain.

I suspect that within a month or two we will be in the same place again, with Grandma (Nanny) as her health is worse than Pap's and she is severely depressed. They had been married over 60 years. I couldn't imagine being with someone that long and then they are gone. How painful for her :(

Thank you, all of you, who are thinking good thoughts and praying for my family. It's been a long week.
Post a Comment