Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I Need Your Words of Wisdom

I had a heartfelt chat with my doctor yesterday and we came to the conclusion that a hysterectomy would be in my best interest, at this point. She has referred me to what she considers a phenomenal doctor and I'm waiting for him to call me to ask me some preliminary questions over the phone. She said they could get me in for my consult before Christmas! *EEK*! Well, I said no to that because I'm not going to be home! At any rate, I told her after the first of the year would be ideal. I'm at peace, emotionally, to be coming to the end of my fertile years. In all honestly, I came to terms with that a few years ago when we chose adoption as our route to expand our family. But I'm scared to death of having surgery and while I feel getting rid of my parts is the only way to go at this point, the thought of enduring yet another surgery seems frightful.

So, I'm asking all of you to help me. If you have gone through this, would you email me? quixoticallychaotic@gmail.com is my email. I don't check it daily, but will try to remember to do so. I don't have specific questions, I am just curious about recovery time, which surgery is preferred, that sort of thing. Just share your experiences with me. If you feel comfortable, leave a comment here. I'm sure there are others out there in this same boat.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I haven't been through it but, you know I'm here for you. I'll be right there if you need anything. :-)

Anonymous said...

I haven't personally been through it, although I prayed it would be offered as an option for me. It wasn't, and things did get better so I can't complain. I wasn't very scared because my step mother had just had her hysterectomy, as well as my aunt and they just really didn't seem to have problems at all. Whatever happens I hope it goes smoothly for you, I know with little ones recovery is always going to seem longer and more complicated.

The Sugden Kids said...

Not sure why you must get the hysterectomy...but always get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion! I wouldn't do it unless it were something very serious/life threatening or inhibiting.
My mom had one done 18 years ago...and she regrets it even still. I'm not sure if things have changed...medically, maybe things have improved?! But her recovery time was long and she says she hasn't felt right since. If you can avoid it...I would. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you and Happy holidays!